If you have questions regarding supplements, we recommend speaking with a veterinarian to determine which supplements may be the most beneficial for your horse’s individual needs. These are a few supplements our veterinarians commonly recommend for various conditions:
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that supports the immune system as well as healthy muscle and nerve cell function. Two forms of Vitamin E supplements are commercially available: synthetic vitamin E (dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate) and natural vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol acetate). Current research shows that natural vitamin E is two to three times more potent than synthetic (1). Furthermore, water-soluble Vitamin E liquid has been shown to increase blood levels of Vitamin E in horses significantly quicker than natural Vitamin E acetate powder. Elevate® W.S. by Kentucky Performance Products is a commercially available form of natural water-soluble Vitamin E. Products that contain natural Vitamin E in powder or pellet form include Elevate® Maintenance Powder and Smart & Simple™ Vitamin E Pellets by SmartPak.
- Vitamin E concentrations in equine serum after oral supplementation of horses with d-alpha tocopherol (natural vitamin E). Lydia F. Gray, DVM, MA, Staff Veterinarian/Medical Director, SmartPak, Plymouth, MA, March 2016.
Multiple studies have shown resveratrol can support soundness and modulate inflammatory response in horses (1,2). Some products that contain Resveratrol intended for joint support include Equithrive® and SmartStride™ Ultra Pellets.
Resveratrol has also been shown to improve metabolic function and enhance muscle performance. These effects have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, which can be helpful to horses affected by Equine Metabolic Syndrome and/or Insulin Resistance (3). Some products that contain Resveratrol intended for metabolic support include Metabarol® and InsulinWise™.
- Watts A.E., et al. A randomized, controlled trial of the effects of resveratrol administration in performance horses with lameness localized to the distal tarsal joints. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2016 Sep 15; 249(6): 650-9.
- Ememe M.U., et al. Modulatory Effects of Resveratrol Supplementation on Inflammatory Markers in Ageing and Lame Horses. J. Anim. Veter. Adv. 2015; 7(4): 67-72.
- Manfredi JM, Stapley ED, Nash D. Effects of a dietary supplement on insulin and adipokine concentrations in equine metabolic syndrome/insulin dysregulation. in Proceedings Am Assoc Equine Pract 2018; 64:473.
Gastric and Digestive Support Supplements
Many aspects of a horse’s life including stall confinement, exercise, transportation, weaning and few environments such as events and shows are known to cause stress and gastric discomfort. For horses that seem particularly stressed or show symptoms of gastric discomfort, Purina® Outlast® Gastric Support Supplement contains a natural mineral complex shown to enhance buffering capabilities, and is formulated to support gastric health and proper pH.
SmartGut® Ultra Pellets were shown in a study to help protect the stomach from rebound acid effects after omeprazole treatment and prevented gastric ulcers from increasing without changing gastric juice pH (1). SmartGI® Ultra Pellets also contain the same gastric protective ingredients, with added ingredients intended for hind gut acid protection and digestive support as well. SmartDigest® Ultra Pellets contain the ingredients focused on hind gut digestive support and acid protection. All three of these SmartPak products qualify for SmartPak’s ColiCare™ program.
RelyneGI by Resolvet was created by veterinarians from Hagyard Equine Medical Institute. Relyne GI aids in gastric support (and joint discomfort) associated with training, travel and performance. It contains a polysaccharide blend of high molecular weight hyaluronic acid and a beta-glucan, which has been shown to improve clinical symptoms of gastric ulcers (2). Relyne GI is all-natural and is safe for long-term use.
- Andrews, F.M., et al. Effect of a Supplement on Non-Glandular Gastric Ulcer Scores and Gastric Juice pH. AAEP Proceedings. Vol. 60. 2014.
- Slovis, N. Polysaccharide Treatment Reduces Gastric Ulceration in Active Horses. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 50 (2017) 116–120.
Platinum Performance® Equine Wellness & Performance Formula is a veterinarian-developed formula that supports every aspect of horse health and performance including joints, muscles, hooves, skin & coat, mane & tail, digestion by delivering omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins and trace minerals. Platinum Performance® also develops many other supplement products with specific benefits that can be tailored to your horse.